The HCT-Sharjah campuses’ Childcare Centre has launched a series of The Year of Zayed themed initiatives through a series of fun, educational and creative activities that support and serve this national theme. In addtion, the events are aimed at building a system of ethical values for generosity inherited from the founding father.
To mark 100 years since the birth of HH Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the UAE’s Founding Father, 2018 has been declared the “Year of Zayed” by UAE President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
On the occasion of International Tolerance Day, the Child Care Centre organized a fund raiser bake sale to support the Big Heart Campaign.
It was a great experience to involve children in the bake sale to teach them some business lessons, bringing children into the planning of the bake benefited them in a number of ways:
- Build basic skills : helped children hone basic math skills by doing something as simple as counting coins , or cupcakes , label the treats
- Introducing new words to children’s vocabulary and promoting literacy.
- Following steps during table setup, pricing the cakes improved their listening skills.
- To gain a sense of accomplishment and boost confidence. Children were so excited every time someone stopped and donated
- Maintaining hygiene all of the time, using only clean cooking gear, wearing gloves, aprons and head caps while working with food.
- Complying with HCT version2 first goal of empowering future generations with 21st century skills in a vibrant campus environment engaged with their local communities
Beyond the bake sale idea, is the importance of making parent involvement a reality. Parents expressed a genuine desire to help their children in making our bake sale project to turn successful.
Special thanks for all the volunteering parents and supporters of our cause bake and donate cakes, cookies, buns, muffins, pies and biscuits. In one hour the centre raised AED 1700, which will be donated to the Big Heart Campaign.
Ola Feidi, Early Childhood Coordinator of the Centre,said: “We are grateful to be able to do our part to help those in need, and to show our children what giving back looks like–and how rewarding it can be!”